Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent - The Ultimate Gift

Advent is a time of great potential and grace.  How many years, however, have I missed the real significance of this gift because I was caught up in all the trimmings.

An old abbot was fond of saying, ‘The devil is always the most active on the highest feast days.’  

"The supreme trick of Old Scratch is to have us so busy decorating, preparing food, practicing music and cleaning in preparation for the feast of Christmas that we actually miss the coming of Christ. Hurt feelings, anger, impatience, injured egos—the list of clouds that busyness creates to blind us to the birth can be long, but it is familiar to us all."
Edward Hays, A Pilgrim’s Almanac, p. 196

How true these words seem to me.  In a world of materialism and self-absorption, it is so true that I often get distracted and miss the gift of this season of preparation. I forget that Christ came to save me from loneliness, despair and futility. I forget to prepare my heart and to refocus my life. 

Advent is a great time to reexamine my life, to slow down and savor the truths held in each Christmas carol. I want to relish the Christmas story and the way this event can transform my life.  

Pope John Paul II challenged us to see the birth of Christ with open eyes and heart. "The natural gift of wonder God gave us as children was meant to be kept alive.…Instead we let wonder go to sleep. We entered the typical dream state of most humans.
"Why else does Jesus tell us today, ‘Stay awake!’…Advent says, ‘Wake up and realize the gifts of love you have received.’" 

While Christmas may be celebrated as "the Sparkle Season" or a celebration of Santa Claus, it's very name indicates the origin of and reason for this special day. It is a day of incredible happiness as the human race is given the ultimate gift of sacrifice and love.  

"For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him may not perish but have everlasting life."  John 3:16

Today is the first day of Advent, of our preparation for Christ's birth.  What will you do to gain a greater appreciation of God's love for you?  What will you do to reflect and share that love with others?

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.