Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, December 16, 2013

Healthy Holiday Treats

The holiday season is associated with special foods, family recipes and lots of sweets. There's grandma's famous nut thins, another grandmother's chocolate fudge, special beverages for Christmas eve by the fireplace.

This year I've decided to create some new family traditions or adapt an old tradition so it is healthier. I want my body to still be well nourished and my immune system to remain strong.  

Here are a few of the recipes I will be using this year. Each of them uses Young Living essential oils for a distinct and vibrant flavor.


Chocolate Almond Candy
Ingredients:
1/2 cup organic, cold pressed, extra virgin coconut oil 
3 tablespoons almond butter
4 tablespoons raw cacao powder  
2 Tbsp organic blue agave nectar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ¼ tsp vanilla powder
4 drops Young Living tangerine or orange essential oil
1/4 cup chopped almonds
Add orange zest, cacao nibs, coconut for other variations

Directions:

Gently warm coconut oil so it is a liquid. Stir in all remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour onto parchment or wax paper lined 9X13 pan for thin candy or 9x9 pan for thicker candy. Refrigerate or freeze until solid. Cut or break into pieces. Don't leave out for long as this candy will melt quickly if the house is warm. Store leftovers in the refrigerator or freezer to keep candy solid.


Spiced Apple Cider or Juice
Ingredients:

6 c. Apple Cider or Apple Juice - freshly juiced is great
2 c. Pineapple Juice
5 drops Clove Essential Oil
5 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
5 drops Tangerine Essential Oil

Directions:
Combine Apple cider/juice and pineapple juice in a saucepan.  Heat until warmed and remove from heat.  Add essential oils and stir.  Serve immediately.

Enjoy these new holiday favorites. 
What healthy recipes do you enjoy for special occasions?


2 comments:

  1. Honestly, I can't believe how good these are! For me these are a great substitute for candy bars and other unhealthy options. They are delicious and help me get more coconut oil in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had these and they are amazing! It was hard to believe they were good for me. I recommend that people make these.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.