Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Raw Chocolate

I confess.  I am a chocolate lover.  In my search for healthier options, I have learned about raw cacao and find that I have really become very fond of this little bean. 

I first became acquainted with the value of raw cacao while watching Food Matters, a great movie that explains the importance of healing ourselves with food, vitamins and other natural supplements.
David Wolfe, a health and wellness guru, was talking about the high mineral, vitamin content of cacao.  I was thrilled to hear that my favorite flavor was something I could enjoy, in its raw form of course.

Here is a bit about David and cacao:  "David Wolfe is a  passionate proponent of the healing and beautifying power of raw chocolate (cacao beans)... Just ask David - he won’t be shy to tell you why chocolate is the greatest, most prosperous, nutritious, mood-elevating, highest energizing, and top weight loss aphrodisiac food on the planet!"

Just a few of the benefits of raw cacao:  cacao has some of the highest levels of iron, magnesium, manganese, vitamin C,  and other nutrients.  It has high antioxidant properties and is a natural anti-inflammatory agent.   Interestingly, a typical sample of cacao nibs or beans is low in caffeine and will yield anywhere from zero to 1,000 parts per million of caffeine (less than 1/20th of the caffeine present in conventional coffee.)

I have used cacao powder and nibs (small broken pieces of bean) in my oatmeal, smoothies, homemade trail mix, raw ice cream and just about anywhere I could "tastefully" squeeze it in.

Here is my recipe for my "Oatmeal Sunday":
Make a batch of Steel Cut Oats
Add cinnamon powder, unsweetened coconut flakes, raw cacao nibs, chopped nuts (your choice), a bit of almond or coconut milk and a tablespoon or less of blue agave nectar.  I sometimes add in some blueberries, peach pieces, banana chunks or raisins.  Oh, so delicious!

So, how do you use cacao?  Do you have a recipe you could share?

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this blog. In particular when I make my morning protein/fruit/veggie smoothie in the morning I add raw cacao and it adds a great little taste. I especially like it with my banana smoothie, it reminds me of a covered chocolate banana. Susie, thank you for beginning this blog, you are a great writer and have lots of wisdom to impart on your journey.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Judy. I agree that banana and cacao is quite a treat! I will sometimes add Young Living's Power Meal (a rice based protein meal replacement) to add a bit more substance. Comically, I drank this today! I must have had cacao on the mind.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.