Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Truth or Comfort?

I have been pondering some questions lately and am not entirely satisfied with my answers.
  • Am I a seeker of truth or a lover of comfort? 
  • Do I seek to learn from others or am I defensive when someone tries to share something I know little about (or I think I know everything about)? 
  • If I am defensive, why? Am I afraid that the new information might create dissonance in me and create a need for change?
  • Do I really believe that I have arrived at all that is beautiful, loving, wholesome, healthy and joyful? Of course not! Then why am I often closed to hearing what others might share with me. 
  • Am I afraid to be swayed, manipulated, or made to feel guilty. Sometimes it may seem easier to reject the information completely then to try and discover grains of truth or useful information. 
These questions have been spurred by conversations I have been having with others who eat differently, have different religious beliefs or expressions of faith, make different parenting choices or have different political views. Some whom I converse with are very closed to hearing new information even if it might save them pain and heartache. At other times, I may be the one who feels defensive and am not completely willing to hear a new point of view. 

When it comes to health and wellness, there are lots of opinions out there. If I grab hold of one idea and decide that it is the only idea I am interested in putting into practice, I may miss out on new studies, powerful foods or natural remedies that are more recently discovered. 


I am comfortable with my diet, health practices, beliefs and way of living, but I have come to believe that every interaction can teach me something. If I take the time to listen, to affirm those I am speaking with, and to share some of myself with them, then I can hopefully add value to their lives as they add value to mine.

As I listen, I learn. As I listen, my own ideas and creativity can be encouraged. As I listen, I can grow in humility. When I do share, others may be more open to hear what I have to say and we can have a warm, respectful interaction.

On May 18, 2013, Pope Francis had this to say,
"In this 'stepping out', it is important to be ready for encounter. For me, this word is very important. Encounter with others. Why? Because faith is an encounter with Jesus, and we must do what Jesus does: encounter others...we must create a 'culture of encounter', a culture of friendship, a culture in which we find brothers and sisters, in which we can also speak with those who think differently, as well as those who hold other beliefs, who do not have the same faith."
I like this word, "encounter". May we look forward to many fruitful encounters in which we can learn, grow, bless and be blessed. I hope your encounter with me through this blog is blessing you on your journey to more vibrant health.


1 comment:

  1. I know during times of change I encounter all kinds of things, both good and bad. I encounter joy in discovery, fear of unknown, new friends, pain of loneliness, frustration with how long it takes to learn, pride in my own strength, and yes, a newfound realization that it is only in God that I can do anything! The Journey of change brings us everyday closer to the person He has called us to be. Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.