Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Remove the Chlorine Naturally

Over the past several years, I have learned more and more about the harmful effects of chlorine on our health.  Chlorine is damaging to the thyroid especially, but is also a source of allergies and asthma, bladder and rectal cancer, damage to airways and soft tissue, fluid in the lungs.  Chlorine is an skin and eye irritant, which is interesting since we use it to bath and wash our face.  It reduces the beneficial flora in the gut.


Interestingly, it isn't really the chlorine that is the main culprite, according to Dr. Mercola, but rather chlorine reacts with organic materials which already dissolve in water, forming chemicals (known as DBP's) that are over 100 times more toxic than chlorine.
  •  According to the U.S. Council of Environmental Quality, the cancer risk to people who drink chlorinated water is 93 percent higher than among those whose water does not contain chlorine.
  • The residents of a small town in Pennsylvania who ate diets rich in saturated animal fats and milk had no heart attacks – until they switched from mountain spring water to fluoridated water.
  • Male smokers who drank chlorinated tap water for more than 40 years had double the risk of bladder cancer as smoking males who drank non-chlorinated water.
I have attempted to limit my exposure to chlorine by using a water filter for my drinking water, taking supplements to support my thyroid, and using a filter on my shower to remove the chlorine. Despite these efforts, there are times when I will travel and don't have access to filtered water. Now what do I do?

I have learned by searching the internet, that using a powdered or crystalized Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) will help to neutralize the chlorine. Just add 1/4 tsp Vitamin C powder to 100 gallons of water. For a bath tub, just sprinkle the Vitamin C powder under the faucet while filling and wait about 5 minutes. For drinking water, just add a pinch of Vitamin C to a gallon of water.

When I travel, I experience different water quality and sometimes my hair can seen to get thick and heavy from the chlorine. I found that if I add 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp baking soda to my shampoo for the first wash that my hair comes very clean and the chemical buildup is prevented.  

I hope these tips help you. Have you found a way to avoid chlorine? Please share your ideas here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.