Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, October 20, 2013

World Mission Sunday - a Personal Call

I had the privilege of attending the first Proclaim conference in Lafayette, Louisiana, this weekend.  The conference focused on our call as Christians to proclaim the good news of God's love through Jesus Christ to the world and to meet the material needs of those all over the world who do not have enough to eat or drink, clothes to wear, or a decent home to live in.

I was challenged to consider how I could live my life differently, more simply, and to share what I have been given with those in need.  

I leave this conference with the desire to ask God where my mission field is, how I can help those in need in very practical ways, and how I can simplify my life, my stuff and even my choices for spending money so I will have more to share with those who are without.  

I live a very comfortable life and complain when I am inconvenienced - the hot water runs out, I don't have a great selection of food options in my frig, I don't know what to wear today or have anything new to wear. I give lip service to helping those who suffer and share minimally of my time or resources.  I am ashamed.

Hearing stories of the poor in Mexico, the Philippines, Ecuador, China, makes me realize  how selfish I am most of the time and how self absorbed I can be.  I protect myself from having to see or relate to the poor by living in my middle class home, shopping in the nicer sections of town and staying away from the poor areas or streets.

The New Testament tells us over and over to care for those in need, to love my neighbor as myself, to "go out to all the world and share the Good News".  "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do unto me."

On this World Mission Sunday, I challenge you to imagine what it would be like if you suddenly had to trade places with someone in poverty.  If you knew that you would be trading places, do you think you would make different choices today with the resources you've been blessed to have?

Pope Francis is challenging the Catholic church to be more committed to caring for the poor.  I want to embrace that challenge as well.  I hope you'll consider joining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.