Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Tai Chi and Qigong Health Benefits

Tai Chi and Qigong Benefits
I have a friend who practices Tai Chi and Qigong and asked him to be a guest writer on my blog. The following discussion comes from Dan P. for your enrichment.
"Tai Chi and Qigong are a couple of mind-body practices that originate in ancient China.  Both of these practices or “types of play,” as described in China, provide low impact, weight-bearing, aerobic – yet relaxing – exercise (according to WebMD).  These practices have been described as “moving meditation” by those who reap the benefits.  Regular practice of Tai Chi and Qigong can benefit their practitioners in many ways.  Let’s take a look at some of these benefits now.
Today, tai chi is practiced in every corner of the world for health improvement— for good reasons. Scientific studies show that the practice of tai chi improves, and prevents, chronic conditions such as arthritis, heart disease and diabetes. In addition, it improves balance, immunity, and reduces stress. In fact, tai chi improves practically every aspect of health.
I began my practice of Tai Chi in 2005.  Once I began the practice, I found out how well it improved my flexibility, my muscle strength and best of all my well being.  Research shows that if one experiences improved well being, that it’s easier to provide similar feelings to those around them.  I decided to pursue my studies further and became certified in two forms of Tai Chi for Health.  These programs were devised by Dr. Paul Lam.  Dr. Lam is an MD and a Tai Chi Master.  I studied Tai Chi for Arthritis and Tai Chi for Diabetes.  To this day, I play Tai Chi and Qigong nearly on a daily basis.
I recently had the opportunity to teach Chinese Fitness to Elementary and Middle school children. The children very much enjoyed the program and some teachers commented about how quiet and focused the children were during the class.  When they asked how I got them to be so focused, I told the teachers “I taught them how to breathe and they are practicing it.”
In addition, I still offer Chinese Fitness classes from time to time.  I find that using this term is easier for some to comprehend than using the term Qigong.  In fact, Shibashi is a relatively newer form of Qigong that was developed in the late 1970s.
I hope that you will follow your interest in learning more about Tai Chi and Qigong for your own health journey. "

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.