Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Fermented Foods For Healing

Fermented foods are found around the world and are considered to be a key component of a healthy diet.  Whether the fermented food is kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, or other vegetables, fermented foods contain large amounts of helpful bacteria and enzymes necessary for gut health. 

It is a good idea to consume a variety of fermented and cultured foods because each food will inoculate your gut with a variety of different microorganisms.

I did not realize that fermented foods are some of the best chelators available. The beneficial bacteria in these foods are very potent detoxifiers, capable of drawing out a wide range of toxins and heavy metals.

I've been having fun with my water kefir grains. They seem to be multiplying at a very slow rate and so patience is being encouraged on my part. After my father had his colon surgery, I was bringing over kefir for him to drink. Despite the fact that I was flavoring the kefir with fresh fruit, he called it "swamp water".  

I think the taste has improved with each additional batch. It takes about 2 or 3 days to make a batch of kefir water because the house is cool. I have added blueberries, orange slices, lemon & ginger, and recently honeydew melon to the finished kefir for a second ferment. The honeydew kefir was surprisingly good.


Grains have doubled in size.

To read more about how to make kefir, check out my blog post on 10/18/13.

Have you tried fermented foods? What is your favorite? Do you have a recipe you could share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.