Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, January 27, 2014

Homemade Raw Brownies and Energy Bars

Sometimes I just want a treat or something to take with me to a special event. I am choosing not to eat foods with white flour, sugar or hydrogenated oils, so often there are few options for me at parties and gatherings. I can keep from feeling sorry for myself if I am proactive and slip a treat into my purse before I leave home.

I will sometimes keep a Larabar in my purse for those moments when I've been out of the house too long and am starving or I am with others who are all munching on things I would prefer not to eat. Little baggies of nuts, dried fruit and other trail mix type options is another easy to-go snack and can even be left in the car in any weather.

Here are a few fun ideas that others have shared with me. the first is from the November 2013 Young Living Essential Edge newsletter. The second was from a friend. Enjoy!

Raw Chocolate Brownie with Peppermint Cacao Icing

2 cups walnuts
8 large dates, pitted (soft and fresh)
3/4 cup raw cacao or carob powder
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or almonds
1/4 cup chopped soft raisins
6 drops YL orange essential oil
2 tsp vanilla extract

  1. Place 2 cups of walnuts in food processor (S blade) and grind until finely ground.
  2. Add cacao powder and pulse to combine.
  3. Add the orange oil and vanilla extract and pulse to mix.
  4. Add the dates one at a time through the feeding tube while the processor is running. the mixture should appear like cake crumbs. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
  5. Add the remaining walnuts and chopped raisins to the brownie mixture. Mix well with your hands. If mixture is dry sprinkle with water.
  6. Pack firmly into a 7X7 inch pan and chill 1 hour before cutting and serving.
Peppermint Topping
1/2 cup YL Blue Agave
4 Tbsp cacao powder
2 Tbsp olive or avocado oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp coconut manna or coconut oil, melted
3-4 drops peppermint oil

Blend all ingredients together in a high-speed blender and spread on top of the brownies.

Quick Energy Bars
1 cup oats (can use a mixture of oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds or other seeds)
1/2 cup organic almond or peanut butter
1/3 cup dried cherries, chopped
3 Tbsp honey
1 tsp vanilla
3 drops YL orange or tangerine EO

Mix dry ingredients and make a well in the center. Add the wet ingredients until blended. Press into a flat pan and chill 1-2 hours.  Cut into bars and wrap individual bars for travel.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try these. Maybe I'll make it my weekend treat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I use steel cut oats to make energy bars?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.