Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Chicken with Oyster Mushrooms

I bought a packet of oyster mushrooms today because they just looked interesting. Maybe it had something to do with my hike in the woods on Saturday and seeing all the fungi growing on dead trees. I really didn't know much about them, so I came home, invented a recipe by throwing a few things together, and looked up oyster mushrooms on the internet.

I learned that oyster mushrooms get their name because the white variety resembles clusters of oysters. They grow wild on dead trees or fallen logs (No, I did not bring them home from my hike, but I really did get them from the grocery store). Evidently, they have been used for thousands of years as a tonic for the immune system.

On livestrong.com (article 348755), I learned that oyster mushrooms contain ergothioneine, a unique antioxidant exclusively produced by fungi. The article referred to a 2010 study led by Penn State food scientist Joy Dubost which stated that the antioxidant properties are significant and not reduced when the mushrooms are cooked.

According to a 1997 study published in the "Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry", oyster mushrooms have significant antibacterial activity. This study found that the active compound is benzaldehyde which is said to reduce bacterial levels.

Another website, nutritiondata.self.com states, 
"This food is low in Sodium, and very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol. It is also a good source of Protein, Thiamin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Iron, Magnesium, Zinc and Manganese, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Riboflavin, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Potassium and Copper."
So, I am glad I bought them. 
Here is the recipe that I threw together.

Chicken with Oyster Mushrooms
This is a one person recipe, so adapt it as needed for the number of people.

1 organic chicken tender (small part of a chicken breast)
5 oyster mushrooms, tops only (stems seemed rubbery)
5 strips of red pepper
2 Tbsp zucchini sliced and quartered
1/4 cup fire roasted tomatoes
your favorite seasonings (organo, basil, rosemary, 21 seasoning salute)

In a small glass pan, place mushrooms and red pepper strips. Lay chicken breast on top. Cover with tomatoes, then zucchini and spices. Add a squeeze of lemon juice if desired. Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink. 

Serve with some raw veggies and a baked sweet potato with coconut oil instead of butter. Yum!

How do you use mushrooms? Do you have a good recipe? 

Comments could win you a free bottle of essential oil...I'm just saying...

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE mushrooms. I'm hoping to have some at the Farmer's Market table from time to time this year.
    A head's up though, I'm not an expert so I don't know how to verify this for sure but there's a lady whose newsletter I get that warned that the radiation coming from Japan makes fungi highly toxic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you locate any information about the radiation and mushrooms, I would be interested in reading it. Thank you.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.