Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Dumping Excuses, Finding Solutions

For a long time I have been moaning about the fact that I want to do more outdoor activities, such as hiking, canoeing and camping. I love nature, the smell of the forest and flowers. I get as excited as a small child (while trying to remain somewhat "adult-like" in my response) when I see unusual critters, a beautifully colored bird or a striking flower. Being in nature revitalizes me, and I love new adventures.
With all my children grown and living out of state, several siblings having moved away, and the lives of friends packed with activities and commitments, I find myself without a regular "nature buddy". Hiking in the woods, in sometimes remote areas, does not seem like a smart activity for a lone woman, unless it is a popular trail with lots of hikers.

While hiking with my son in North Carolina last week, it suddenly dawned on me that most state parks and recreational areas have organized nature hikes. These often involve a guided hike and receiving some instruction on a topic, so it would give me a chance to hike with others and learn some interesting facts and information at the same time. I made the decision to check into this.

When I shared this brilliant insight with my sister, she mentioned organized groups called "Meetup" where you can locate others who enjoy similar activities and participate in scheduled events.

I was amazed to realize that there are Meetup groups for many, many interests, from raw food, to outdoor activities, to knitting, gardening, wine tasting, and hundreds of others. I signed up to join a nearby hike with 15 other people and am excited to have overcome my "obstacle", my excuse for not getting outdoors more.

To learn more about Meetup groups, visit www.meetup.com and select the activities you enjoy and the location that you are interested in, i.e. hiking in Pittsburgh, PA. You will then receive emails letting you know of events that are scheduled and you will have the chance to join in the fun.

Have you found a creative way to overcome an obstacle that you experience? As the old saying goes, "where there's a will, there's a way".  What has been your way?




2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a great idea. I didn't know there was such a thing but shouldn't be surprised with the internet at our fingertips.
    I think I spoke to you before about doing volksmarches in Germany. They took place just about every weekend somewhere and they had little stations here and there as you walked the countryside to use the facilities, grab some water and a sugar pill. Then when you completed it you were rewarded a pin for your felt cap. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cynthia
      I love Volkswalks, too. When I lived in Nicaragua the German and Dutch embassies took turns organizing walks around the countryside. It was a great way to stay in shape and see a new place.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.