Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, April 28, 2014

Mercy Wrapped in Difficulty

Today is Mercy Sunday and the celebration of the canonization of Pope John Paul II and Pope John XXIII (that's 23rd). This is a great day to celebrate God's love and His constant desire to draw us closer to Himself.

Yesterday, as I was hiking in a wildflower reserve (I'll share more about that later this week), I found myself drawn to trees that were gnarly or had unusual features.  The knots or holes, bumps or bends, somehow made them more interesting to look at, and photograph.


As I reflected on this, I realized that these trees had been through hardships and many had been injured in some way. They didn't get these unique features from an easy life. Some may have been hit by lightening, scrapped by the antlers of a deer, had limbs broken off. As they healed from this wound, they developed, well character.

Sometimes I feel like a character. There are times when the hardships of life stretch me, wound me, disfigure me in some way. I wonder if I will ever be the same, and the answer is "no". I will not. 

But in God's infinite mercy, if I respond to His love and leading, I will come out stronger, more compassionate, more loving. These struggles can help me to build character and will make me unique. I am developing insights and skills that can be used by God for His service. This is amazing. Only God can bring great beauty out of what others might call tragedy.

So the next time you are hiking in the woods and you see a tree with some unique features, remember that hardship can lead to strength, and mercy can lead to joy.

"Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments, we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy Itself. Amen." (closing prayer from the Chaplet of Divine Mercy)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.