Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, April 14, 2014

Salads and Sweet Potato Treat

Spring Salads are a fun mixture of baby greens, early veggies, such as snow peas or scallions, and whatever else you'd like to add for color, flavor and texture. Just take a basic blend of lettuce greens and get creative with your toppings.

Basic Salad Ideas

Spring Mix, spinach and baby Romaine

For a Veggie salad add:
Sprouts
Colored peppers, sliced
Mushrooms, sliced
Grape or cherry tomatoes
Cashews
Garbanzo beans
Avocado

For a fruit variety:
1 ripe pear, sliced or strawberries, sliced
Almond slices or pine nuts
Gorganzola or feta cheese (optional)
Sprouts or Kelp noodles

Use a homemade balsamic vinegar and oil mixture or a sesame ginger oil and vinegar mixture.

Sweet Potato Treat
Sweet potatoes scrubbed, pricked, and baked at 375 until soft.

Saute lightly and add to cooked, split sweet potato:
Onions
Spinach
Mushrooms, sliced

Top with
Avocado slices
A squeeze of lemon
A dash of cinnamon or cayenne pepper

What have you created recently that you can share with us?

Your comment could earn you a Blue Spruce or Ocotea essential oil blend.


5 comments:

  1. Susie, your salad suggestions sound so wonderful especially now that spring has finely arrived. I thought I would share a recipe for a Raw Kale Salad that was given to me by the nutritionist at Market District.
    Ingredients: Serves 4
    1 lb Kale
    ½ Cup Dried Cranberries
    ½ Cup Pine Nuts, toasted
    4oz Reduced Fat Feta Cheese
    1 Red Onion, sliced thin
    15oz Chickpeas, rinsed and dried

    Dressing:
    2 Tbsp Honey
    1 Lemon, juiced
    2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
    2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 tsp Garlic Powder
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    ½ tsp dried Oregano

    Directions:
    1. Combined all salad ingredients in large bowl
    2. Whisk together salad ingredients pour over the salad. If wanting to eat that day massage dressing into the kale or marinate overnight.

    Bon appétit! Colette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious. I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. Colette
      Your salad dressing sounds great. I bet it would be great as a sauce for veggies like carrots or turnips. Cathy

      Delete
  2. That sweet potato salad idea is new to me and looks delicious!
    I grow soil sprouts and add those to all my salads and anything else I can think of. They have the highest nutrition of any veggie even being so small! My favorite salad right now is lettuce, soil sprouts and any other veggies I have in the fridge. Now here's what makes it good: add hemp seeds and balsamic vinegar. I know that vinegar is good for you on salads but it was just too acidic for my taste so I tended to avoid salads. Now that I've tried balsamic I love vinegar on my salad. It probably isn't as good for you as ACV (I haven't researched it) but at least I can now eat my salads. Always remember to add some kind of oil to your salad to help with pulling out the enzymes etc and if you are like me and prefer a cream dressing - I just recently started smashing up the avocado rather than slicing it and stirring it into my salad to create a cream-like dressing. Maybe I'm the only one that had trouble eating a HEALTHY salad but if not, those ideas helped me.
    Oh, and add hemp seeds too they are nutty tasting and delicious and add protein to your salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the ideas. I too love Balsamic vinegar and would often use it without any oil. I have been learning that I need the good oils in my diet for my brain, hormones and the rest of my body, but did not know about it helping with enzyme extraction. Thanks for sharing that. I'd love to look into that more and do a blog on it. Our bodies and natures contributions to it are fascinating, aren't they?

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.