Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Balanced Approach

This week my father went to the emergency room with abdominal pain and what the doctors thought might be gallstones.  He was put on an antibiotic, given some pain medication and sent to a room on the second floor to await testing.  I arrived that morning with the attitude of a crusader determined to prevent any unnecessary medications, procedures or harm. At the age of 83, he has not been in the hospital since he was 4, except to accompany my mother.  While I do know of cases of neglect, incompetence and of relatively healthy individuals spiraling down into disability and even death, I will now admit that my attitude was anything but humble or grateful.

He was prescribed an antibiotic, Cipro (from the  fluoroquinolone family) which I have read should only be used as a last resort because of all of the extremely damaging and prevalent side effects.  I asked that it be discontinued or changed.  We had great difficulty getting the results from his tests and so he was not allowed to drink even water, was not on an IV after his mid-day tests, and was getting dehydrated.  We had more questions than answers and the nurses on the floor seemed too busy to be able to get answers for us and the doctors were vague and unavailable.  When we left that evening, I felt sorry for anyone in a hospital bed without someone to advocate for them.

A day and a half later, my father returned to the emergency room and this time, the doctors discovered that he had a perforated colon.  A surgeon was immediately called, and after the surgery was complete, I arrived with a whole new appreciation of the medical profession, and a bit more humility.  There is no doubt that this surgery saved my father’s life.  The doctor was open to discussing the antibiotics chosen and the floor my father was placed on was much calmer and the nurses very attentive.

I wholeheartedly believe in the healing powers of whole food, good nutrition, essential oils, vitamins and minerals, and I will continue to advocate these with a passion.  I have been able to use some of the oils with my father in the hospital and the hospital staff has been open to this.  After this recent hospital experience, however, I will be less judgmental toward a medical profession which, while it has its flaws and weaknesses, is still filled with people who truly care about serving others and saving lives.  For the doctors and nurses who are genuinely concerned about and caring for my father, I say thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.