Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Respecting Choices

Many times in my past I have failed to respect the choices that other people make.  I decide that I think they should make a different choice and I give them another chance to "make an adjustment".  This may happen in a marriage or with children, coworkers or in sales. 

I may think that the choice someone is making is harmful, foolish or inconvenient for me.  Let's face it, most of the time my reason for not liking it is because it puts me in a difficult place.  It may cause me more work if the outcome is less than desirable.  It may be a choice that has the potential to cause harm and that might mean that I will have to pick up the pieces or be embarrassed.  It may be a choice that does not provide me with the benefits that I would like to experience (social, financial, emotional). 

I love the serenity prayer:  "Lord, give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."  Sometimes in respecting another person's choice, I have to have the courage to make choices that are healthy for myself.  This can be a real challenge.  I can love another by allowing them to make a poor choice, without criticism or belittling them, and then make a healthy choice for myself.  This may cause tension, distance or frustration, but ultimately I can only choose for myself.

The last half of the serenity prayer is my favorite:  "Taking as Jesus did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it.  Trusting that you will make all things right if I surrender to your will, so I may be reasonably happy in this life, and supremely happy with you forever in the next."

Jesus respected the choices of those he came in contact with:  the rich young man who went away sad, the Pharisees in their arrogance, Judas who betrayed him.  He invited people to a better life, let them decide and then continued to make healthy choices for himself.  What a great model for us to follow.

What healthy step can you take today that will demonstrate respect for yourself, trust in the Lord and be respectful of the choices of others, no matter how different those choices might be from your own?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.