Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Is Knowledge Power?

You've heard the saying, "What you don't know won't hurt you".  How true is that really?  If someone slipped arsenic into your drink, would you be safe if you didn't know about it?  Of course not.  

In the same way, I can't fool myself into thinking that the chemicals in my household products or the artificial sweetener in my foods are not going to hurt me just because I don't know about their harmful effects.   

I use to think that I could trust the regulating industries, like the FDA or other government agencies. Certainly they would not allow something that has been proven to be harmful to be in my foods, cleaners, vaccines, medicines.  After all, aren't they committed to the protection of the people?  I have to say, I was pretty overwhelmed and crushed when I realized that this was not the case and that often money is the motivation rather than what is best for our bodies.  When a woman I know called the FDA to ask why they were not protecting us from harmful products, the person on the phone stated that the FDA is in place to be sure products are labeled clearly.  Americans have the right to decide whether they want to use the products or eat the "food" once they read the label.

The problem, as I see it, is that we have been marketed to, very effectively I might add.  We believe that because something comes in a colorful package, has the words "all natural" or "organic" printed across the label, that it is actually healthy and beneficial to our bodies.  I am sure most of us don't realize (I didn't) that millions of dollars are spent on chemicals to enhance flavor, create the perfect color or texture, encourage a desire for more of the same.  

Ignorance is really not bliss, but a sleep walking into disaster, health problems, frustration and heartache.  Our choices, whether conscious or unconscious, over time will compound into positive or negative results.  We get to choose, and will have the most positive results if we are informed and choose wisely. 

Here's my challenge.  Take some time every day, or several specific times a week, to educate yourself.  Learn what is in your foods, cleaners, personal care products, medications.  Use the internet as a source to look up words you don't know (propolyene glycol, triclosan, sodium laurel sulfate).  Find websites that you trust and read a little each day.  I appreciate Dr. Mercola's site (www.mercola.com), Victoria Boetanko's site (www.rawfamily.com) and so many others.  Watch movies that inspire you to take a better step or set a better course - Food Matters and Hungry for Change are just a couple of my favorites. 

Discover healthy alternatives to what you find to be less than desirable in your home and food. Ask your doctor to switch a medication if you realize that the one you are on is especially harmful.  You are your own best health advocate.  As Jim Rohn says, "Take care of your body.  It's the only place you have to live."  

Don't allow others to intimidate or bully you.  Remember, God gave us this world to enjoy and prosper in.  He wants us to be full of life and he is the master healer and provider.  He gives us free will and a mind to reason with.  Don't allow others to deny you the use of either of these.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.