Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Simple, Natural, Inexpensive Cleaning

Earlier this week I tackled cleaning a porcelain sink that had marks, stains and grime all over it.  I don't like to use toxic household cleaners and so I grabbed some baking soda and my diluted Thieves cleaner (from Young Living) and thought I would see what would happen.  I have read a few times that baking soda can be used in conjunction with other natural ingredients for cleaning, but had never tried using it myself.

I simply sprinkled about a tablespoon of baking soda into two white, porcelain sinks.  These are deep kitchen sinks that get marked with a grey or black line every time a pot or pan brushes up against it.  I then sprayed a few squirts of Thieves cleaner diluted with water (1 part Thieves cleaner to 30 parts water) from a spray bottle into the sinks.  I grabbed a green worn down scrubby and began to scrub the sinks.

I really was not too hopeful that I would be able to remove the marks, but within minutes the sinks were white and sparkling.  I was amazed and could not believe how inexpensively (and naturally) I had cleaned them.  I will definitely use this combination again.

I have also used Lemon essential oil, which is different than the juice of a lemon, mixed in water to clean and disinfect my bathroom, kitchen, and to take gummy, sticker residue off of anything (glass, plastic, book covers, you name it).

With such simple, inexpensive ways to clean and disinfect, it's easy to keep toxic cleaners out of your home. Do you have a recipe for a homemade, natural cleaner?  I'd love to hear about it.

1 comment:

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.