Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, September 16, 2013

The Power of Words

I have been listening to a book on CD called "Change Your Words, Change Your Life" by Joyce Meyer and I have been convicted that words are even more powerful than I realized.

The book talks about God's word bringing the world into existence and our words bring into existence either progress, joy and success or defeat, harm and insecurity.  How many times do you hear someone say, "This is going to be a bad day" (and then it is), "I have no control over my appetite?",  or "I'll never be able to ...(fill in the blank)"?

We often get what we expect and we tend to take steps with these thoughts or words in mind.  If I am expecting a situation to be difficult, is it easier to just give up instead of persevering?  If I expect that I will not be able to stick to my exercise routine or my healthy diet changes, then I probably will give in and quit when I experience discomfort or it becomes inconvenient.

My words can bring life and blessing to others, or they can tear down another's self-esteem and wound them.  We can speak words in person, over the phone, through email, texting or tweeting, and regardless of the way they are delivered, they can still build up or tear down. "Never in the history of the world have words been so cheap, quick, irrevocable, and viral." - Joyce Meyer. We say things often without really thinking.  Once the words are out (or emailed) they can't be taken back.

One challenge that Joyce gave was to not say anything that we don't think we could envision God saying.  Would God say, "This is impossible, things will never work out"?  Well, nothing is impossible with God.  Our hardships and struggles create muscles, character and teach us so many valuable lessons.

As Jim Rohn says, "Don't wish it was easier; wish you were better.  Don't wish for less problems; wish for more skills.  Don't wish for less challenges; wish for more wisdom."

What if you tried today to speak more positive words, to express gratitude and appreciation for
everything in your life, and to change your life by the words that you speak?  Give it a try and let me know what results you experience.


1 comment:

  1. I remember as kids we had a saying that sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. We tried to convince ourselves but we knew that the words did hurt. Thanks for reminding me that words, even those I say to myself, can make my day better or worse.

    Thanks for the words you share each day in your blog. They help to inspire me.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.