Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

The Miracle of New Life

This week I became a second time grandmother and I can tell you it is just as exciting the second time.  Maybe a bit too exciting, as this grandson decided that he wanted to get noticed right from the start.

Labor began and contractions did not seem to be progressing consistently. My son and daughter-in-law decided to go to the hospital so she could get checked.  That's when they discovered that the baby was footling breach. He was trying to slide out feet first, which is not a desirable way to deliver a baby.  This was a surprise, as he had been head down the week before. They also discovered that my daughter-in-law was already 7 centimeters dilated,  so some quick decisions had to be made.

Since a vaginal delivery would be too risky, my daughter-in-law was prepared for a C-section. We received the news by text, thanks to my son, who asked us all to pray.  And pray we did!

The doctor arrived and asked if they would like him to try and turn the baby.  He explained that it was risky and very unlikely that it would work.  If her "water" would break, it would mean an emergency C-section.  They said they would like him to try.

While they repeatedly prayed out loud, and all of us prayed around the country, the baby flipped in the doctor's hands.  With head down, labor proceeded. They were able to use the essential oils they love which helped with pain, muscle tension, relieving some of the anxiety and stress in the room, and cleansing the air.  The nurses commented on how much they loved the smells in their room.

Philip Gerard was born a few hours later, and we all rejoiced in God's care and mercy.  This care
came through a physician who was willing to be God's instrument and was sensitive to the desires of my son and daughter-in-law to have as natural a birth as possible.

I am aware that God's blessings don't always come in ways we consider to be positive. Sometimes He blesses us with hardship or suffering.  We may not understand why.  So if you've experienced a C-section, a difficult birth or even the death of a baby, I don't believe that God abandoned you or removed His love or blessings.  I pray you will experience His love and care even in the midst of your difficulties.

Again I am humbled to remember that God blesses man with an intellect and abilities to work in union with Him to do incredible things to save lives.  He blesses us through natural means (good nutrition, pure essential oils and herbs, meditation, exercise) and also through scientific discoveries and medical procedures.  It is not either/or, but both/and.

I pray for the day that the dignity and needs of each human being will be foremost in the minds of every doctor, nurse, counselor, pharmaceutical company, farmer, food company, chemist, political leader... But while I pray for this, I can begin.  I can be sure I treat each person I meet with dignity and respect.  Let it begin with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.