Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

A Mother's Day Tribute

As I reflect on mother's today, I am filled with gratitude for my own mother, for those who have been spiritual mothers in my life, and for my children who have filled my life and my heart with a passion for motherhood (and grand-motherhood).

Mothers are a great example of unselfish love and sacrifice, of compassion and nurturing, and of creativity and resourcefulness.

Two stories that I recent heard illustrate the unique role of mothers. The first is about a job posting that was listed in the classified section of the newspaper. It read,
Wanted, person to work 7 days a week, on call 24 hours a day. Responsibilities include culinary creations, housekeeping, driving, event planning, on call counseling, peace negotiations and more. Compensation is not monetary, but will involve delayed gratitude in future years.
I am not sure that any of us would respond to an ad like this in the newspaper, yet we can definitely identify the role of a mother in this description.  If this sounds like your own mother, I hope you took the time (if she is still living) to thank her today.

The second story that I recently heard involved two warring tribes. In the middle of the night, the tribe from the mountain attacked the tribe on the plains, disappearing back into the mountains with an infant from the plains tribe. The next morning, the bravest, strongest warriors of the plains tribe attempted to climb the mountain to rescue the infant. After several attempts, they believed all was lost. Suddenly, they saw the mother of the kidnapped infant coming toward them from the top of the mountain. She was carrying her child. When she approached the warriors, they inquired how she was able to climb the mountain and bring back the baby when they had not been able to. She replied simply, "It was not your baby."

I know that I would walk through fire for my own children, and I know that my mother has already endured many hardships on my behalf.  So today, I say "thank you", to mothers everywhere, and especially my mother, for saying yes to bringing forth life and then nurturing that life to the best of her ability.

What do you like best about motherhood or your own mother?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.