Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Are You Open Minded For a Change?

I would have said that I am a person with an open mind, willing to learn new things and adjust my view accordingly. Yet in the past week I have been challenged to rethink this belief. It seems as if God has been opening my eyes and allowing me to see how I am often defensive when hearing a new idea or viewpoint, or I will make a snap judgement about a person I am meeting or hearing about for the first time. This certainly does not demonstrate humility or openness.

I have been listening to talks from the 2014 Food Revolution Summit on a variety of topics from GMOs, to world hunger, to animal cruelty, to eating healthier. The 24 people interviewed are from a wide range of backgrounds and lifestyles. While I am interested in natural healing, I would not have considered myself to be a "tree hugger" or "cow kisser". After listening to several of the talks, I have a greater appreciation for some of the concerns raised and the implications of our choices.

I learned that animals raised specifically for food in the United States consume staggering amounts of grain. If Americans ate 10% less meat, we could use the grain saved to feed 16 million people, the same number of people that will die of hunger this year around the world.

Most of the animals raised for food in the United States are raised on factory farms and live in such horrific conditions that if we experienced their situation first hand, we would probably be sick to our stomachs and be extremely disturbed for quite some time. In recent months, I watched the movie Vegucated and began by making jokes and thinking that "these people" take animal care too seriously. What I learned shook my position and challenged me to learn more. Now I try to buy my chicken and lamb from a local farm with humane practices and no antibiotics or GMO feed.

Other talks in the Food Revolution summit challenged me to consider my reasons for eating organic produce. Up until now, I have chosen to eat organic food largely for my own health. I want to avoid pesticides and other toxins. I had never really considered the people who have to work in the fields where chemicals are being sprayed. Did you know that the average life span of a migrant field worker is 49 years. If I eat organic produce, then I am sending a message that I want better working conditions for field workers.
You can still listen to some of the talks from the Food Revolution Summit. The final talk between John and Ocean Robbins is very powerful. I challenge you to keep an open mind and heart as you listen to this.

I believe God wants me to have a heavenly perspective and to remember that the earth is not my final home. Yet while I am here, it is important that I care about all those who walk this world with me. I am challenged to be loving both to myself and to others and to do the best I can to be healthier and create a healthier world for those who will follow.

Have you listened to any of the summit? What did you think?
Leave a comment and you could win a free Lemon essential oil on June 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.