Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Tackling Our Fear of Change

Change is difficult. There is no doubt about it. I don't know anyone who loves major change, especially if it is a change that wasn't desired. But as the saying goes, "the only thing that is constant is change".

Last weekend, I shared that I went on a hike and it was wonderful. What I didn't share was that I almost didn't go. Initially, I signed up for a hike at 10:00 a.m. with the Pittsburgh Hiking Meetup group. I started the day with several excuses. First, it was raining and would probably be a crummy day. I didn't have hiking boots, so maybe I shouldn't go.  As the time got closer, I decided that I was in the middle of something I didn't want to stop. I remembered there was a second hike at 12:00, so I jumped on the internet and changed my reservation. As 12:00 approached, I discovered that I was "too busy" to attend the 12:00 hike either.

I had seen a promotion for a wildflower hike at 2:00 in the same park, so I decided that I would join the guided wildflower hike. By now, the day was sunny and comfortable. As the time got closer, I realized I was struggling to leave on time. That's when I began to suspect that I was sabotaging myself.

Don't get me wrong, hiking is something I love, but going with a group of complete strangers was not really comfortable for me. I knew I needed to "just do it" so I got in the car and started driving. I arrived 30 minutes late for the hike, and the group was no where in sight. I chose a trail and started hiking. While I never did catch up to the group, I had still achieved a victory, in that I took the step to go. I had a wonderful hike and enjoyed seeing all the wildflowers.

We use to hike together as a family and now that my children are grown and living out of state, I will need to find some new companions for hiking and other activities that I enjoy. This change is a part of life. Even though it was somewhat expected, I really didn't understand how drastically their being gone would affect so many areas of my life. It's all good, just hard to change.

So when have you experienced a change that was difficult?  Can you share something you learned that might benefit us?

4 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how many times I've talked myself out of comfortable situations. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susie, I have a very hard time with change, especially those involving my children getting older and becoming less dependent on me. I'm not happy that you feel similarly but is a comfort to know that I'm not the only one that loves spending time with their kids! I hope this gets easier for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read your story I was reminded of how often I talk myself out of doing something new. I have discovered that fear of the unknown is the reason. I hate not knowing and my negative self talk often kicks in and I imagine that things won't go well. 99% of the time things actually go better than I expected. I hope you will sign up for more hikes and enjoy the experiences that change can bring! Miss you. Come visit soon! We can go hiking. Heehee

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.