Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, May 19, 2014

Egging You on to Good Health

When I was a kid, I loved when my dad would be away on a business trip and we would get to have something "eggstra" special, like scrambled eggs or pancakes, for dinner. It just seemed less stressful and was "eggsactly" what we felt like eating.

Since I don't eat much meat, and I try to eat my protein meals earlier in the day (as they take longer to digest and move through the system), I find myself making veggie omelettes or a frittata for a more substantial meal.

I purchase organic eggs that are from free range, pasture fed, and antibiotic free chickens. I just don't want more chemicals, pesticides or antibiotics traveling from my food to me. Eggs are a great source of protein and good fats. Add a few veggies, some herbs and spices and you have a delicious meal.

The color of the egg really has little to do with the nutritional value of the eggs, but more to do with the type of chicken that laid the egg. Of course, if you have the goose that layed the golden egg then that's a whole different story.

Here's what I made tonight.

Basil Veggie Frittata
This makes enough for two people.
2 Tbsp coconut oil
1 small potato, chopped into little cubes
1/4 large yellow onion, chopped
1/4 sweet red pepper, chopped
2 long slices of a portabella mushroom, chopped
1-2 inches of zucchini, chopped into little cubes
5 large basil leaves, chopped
pinch of sea salt
garlic powder to taste
dash of cayenne pepper
2-3 large eggs

Heat oil in cast iron skillet. Cook onion and potato until soft. Add rest of the ingredients, except eggs, and cook briefly. Beat eggs and add to pan. Cook until bottom is set, then put under the broiler in the oven until eggs are firm and top is puffy, but before eggs get too brown.

Options: Add an avocado to the top after it is cooked and some salsa for "eggstra" zip.


Do you have a favorite healthy egg recipe? Leave it for us in the comments below and your name will be entered into a drawing to win a free Young Living Lemon essential oil.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. I love breakfast omelets for dinner. Thanks for reminding me how much I enjoy a nice cooked egg!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.