Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Sleep in Heavenly Peace?

Over the past several years, I have heard whispers about the toxins found in most traditional mattresses. Now that I am needing to purchase a new mattress, I have started exploring the world of mattresses and how the choice of sleeping materials may be affecting my health.

Since most of us do spend about one third of our lives on our bed, it makes sense to me that I should give it at least some consideration so I am not compromising all the healthy steps I am taking when I am awake. Is choosing a mattress or sleeping materials just about how firm the bed should be or how soft the sheets might feel?

I really knew very little about this topic. I started looking online and reading what I could find. What I have been discovering is interesting and concerning. For example, did you know that traditional mattresses, like so many other products manufactured today, are created with many synthetic materials and toxic chemicals? Is this a surprise when our foods, cleaners, personal care products all seem to have more and more toxic additives? The number of new chemicals introduced into our environment each year is in the thousands. Why would mattresses be any different?

For the last 50+ years most mattresses have been made of polyurethane foam, a petroleum based material that gives off volatile compounds that can cause respiratory and skin problems. Formaldehyde, which is used in the adhesives of the mattress, cotton pesticides and flame-retardant chemicals are just some of the additives suspected of contributing to cancer, nervous system disorders, asthma, allergies and more. Greatest concern is mattresses used for infants and children since their bodies and lungs are more sensitive. Flame retardancy laws are demanding higher levels of toxic materials.

Earlier this week, I visited the Natural Sleep Shop, a mattress store that sells organic, non-toxic latex mattresses in Cranberry, PA. One of the owners was very patient in explaining the different types of latex, specifically Dunlop or Talalay, and how these can be stacked 2 or 3 to a "mattress" in various levels of firmness, from firm to medium to soft. The latex slabs are stacked and then wrapped inside a quilted casing made of organic cotton fabric with organic wool batting. The wool provides the flame retardancy, naturally.

The owner of the shop explained that he and his wife opened this store after they had a terrible experience with a newly purchased traditional mattress.  After some serious health issues emerged, they had their home tested for toxicity levels. Their bedroom, with this new mattress, was ten times more "toxic" than the rest of the house. This experience started them on a journey to find a healthier option and then make this option available to others.

Natural latex mattresses are more expensive due to the cost of the materials. Savvy Rest, the brand sold by the Natural Sleep Shop, guarantees their mattresses for 20 years, while traditional mattress companies are now recommending you replace your mattress every 8 years. The organic, latex mattress was very comfortable too.

For those who struggle with breathing issues, sleep problems or other health concerns, it might be worth checking out some healthier bed options. I am definitely intrigued and will continue to research this topic.

I am still at the beginning of my exploration. I'd love to know what you may know or be learning.

3 comments:

  1. I am looking at getting a new mattress as my current one is 20 years old and has sagged. I can't wait to hear more about what you learn. Do the latex mattresses sleep hot like the thermopetic mattresses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you the above comments about our store, and to you for your inquiry. Natural latex has more air flow than synthetic memory foams, so there is no need to add chemical cooling gels or cooling toppers. (A report we have on file from the Las Vegas trade show exhibition demonstrate the increased air flow of natural latex. )The organic wool in the casings is also very temperature regulating, unlike polyester fabrics and vinyl coated mattress pads. We'd be happy to share those test results with you in our store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, thank you for taking the time to answer questions and add information to the blog. I enjoyed working with you and can't wait for my new mattress to arrive. I hope other blog readers will come and visit your store in Cranberry to see all that you offer. Some great mattresses, furniture, cribs and organic linens too. Thanks again.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.