Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ways to Protect Yourself From EMFs

Several weeks ago, I was talking with a woman who has been involved with natural healing for many years. She had done quite a bit of research on EMFs or electromagnetic fields. In the course of our conversation, she pulled out what she called her "blue blockers" and showed my her orange tinted glasses which she stated she wears after the sun goes down. I'll explain this more in a minute.

EMFs are everywhere, created by many sources, such as cell phones, power lines, computers, metals in our mattress, synthetic materials in our homes, and more. EMFs interfere with the body's electical "circuitry", disrupting communication in the body, causing cell oxidation, creating an acid state in the body and interrupting sleep patterns.

I don't propose to go into a long explanation, as you can read a good article on Dr. Mercola's site. I am not advocating anxiety or panic, but am just bringing some ideas to your attention. It seems that there are simple steps that can be taken that might really help eliminate some of the excess EMFs that may be negatively affecting your health or sleep.

Here are a few steps that I plan to take:

  1. Keep my cell phone and computer out of the bedroom when I sleep and, if at all possible, try not to use them for at least an hour before bed. Limiting explosure to electronics before bed can actually help your sleep cycle.
  2. Research "blue blocker" glasses to wear around my house at night. As the sun goes down, natural blue light diminishes which tells our body to prepare for sleep. When we use lots of artificial lights and electronic devices at night, we keep the blue light levels higher and this can disrupt sleep cycles. Wellness Mama has a good article on this that you might find helpful.
  3. I am planning to get a new mattress and am hoping to find one that does not have metal in it, has less toxic substances and fumes, is comfortable and doesn't break the bank. I have heard that a latex mattress might be a good option. I'll keep you posted on my research and would appreciate your input if you know of any good sources/options.
  4. I keep the head of my bed 3-6 feet from electrical outlets when sleeping.
  5. I will continue to research this topic so I can better understand the risks of EMFs. I will also check out something called f.lux that can help with computer blue light at night.
I am just beginning my journey into this subject, but am very interested in learning more. I can appreciate that we have many more sources of EMFs than our grandparents did 50 years ago and this bombardment of our cells from EMFs needs to be seen as toxic and requires some wisdom and monitoring. 

What do you know about this topic? Have you taken any steps to limit EMFs?






1 comment:

  1. I got an earthing bed which you can find on the earthing website. Although it does want to break the bank. It definately helped my husband and I. If the price is too high then at least when you decide on the bed you want you can get an earthing pad to put over it. The bed itself is made to order and has a special cover and is organic in it's components. We love it and consider it a good investment. Although we would not have been able to afford it normally. If you can - it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.