Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Giving Up Negative Speech

I am so proud of my niece. She has decided to give up negative speech for lent. As a high school student in a public school, I am sure that is a tall order.

I too have been trying to give up negative speech and negative thinking - for life. There have been several books, talks, sermons, that have touched me lately and challenged me to be "creative" with my words, bringing forth life, rather than destruction and discouragement.  Studies have even shown a direct link between our negative thoughts and words and our health.

What purpose does negative speech serve in my life? Do I put someone else down so I feel "better" about myself? For me this most often backfires because I am left with a yucky feeling and less respect for myself. Do I speak negatively about the future because I am not really sure that God will take care of me? Am I letting fear get the best of me? Do I give in to gloom and doom conversations because it gets attention, just seems to be what everyone else wants to talk about, or seems easier than trying to be positive?

Can you relate to this?  Whatever the reason, our speech creates our future. We get what we expect and what we speak about. I know I have blogged about this before and given resources such as I Declare, The Power of Positive Thinking and others.

Here is a passage from The Greatest Salesman in the World:
"I will greet this day with love in my heart. And how will I speak? I will laud mine enemies and they will become friends; I will encourage my friends and they will become brothers. Always will I dig for reasons to applaud; never will I scratch for excuses to gossip. When I am tempted to criticize I will bit on my tongue; when I am moved to praise I will shout from the roofs."
Just trying to live this one paragraph could give me enough work for ten lents! Wouldn't the world be a great place if we all lived this way? When I am able to live out these words, I feel better about myself. I can look myself in the mirror and be more loving to the person I see there too.

What are your thoughts on this topic? Is negative speech something you struggle with?

1 comment:

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.