Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Monday, March 31, 2014

Sprouts of Spring for Eating

Even the bee is excited for spring!
I guess you could say that I love the Spring. I just can't get it out of my mind as I sit down to write each day. I enjoy seeing the new growth poking up through the ground and the early flowers blooming. Today was a beautiful, warm day and I enjoyed walking in the sunshine for a bit.

It is still early for me to plant my garden; I haven't yet planted any cool weather crops. I have been getting some nutrient rich "early crops" into my diet by simply sprouting seeds on my kitchen counter, seeds such as alfalfa, sunflower, broccoli, fenugreek, lentils, clover, mung beans and more. Did you know that sprouts are a powerhouse of nutrition and enzymes?

Sprouts are super easy to grow, take little effort (just rinsing twice a day) and one tablespoon yields up to 2 cups of sprouts, depending on the variety. You can find directions all over the internet, so I will just encourage you to give it a try.

Tonight I made a delicious salad and was reminded again how varied and creative salads can be. Start with a base of different lettuce leaves, add a few chopped, shredded or sliced vegetables, some beans, meat or nuts, or even some fruit slices. Top with sprouts or ground flax seeds.

Another salad option is listed in the comment section of my February 28 post  by one of my followers Check out her salad too.

Dill Tuna and Flax Oil Salad
Ingredients:
Plate of varied lettuce leaves, spinach or other greens
Sliced yellow peppers
2 mushrooms, sliced
2 Tbsp of cashew pieces
Organic cherry tomatoes
1/2 can of solid white tuna
1&1/2 tsp flax seed oil
pinch of dill weed
handful of sprouts

Add all veggies to the plate of greens. Mix tuna, flaxseed oil and dill together until blended. Add to salad. Add dressing, if desired. Enjoy!

Have you tried sprouts before? What is your favorite sprout? What method do you use to sprout them?

Tomorrow I will be choosing the winner of the DiGize or Purification oil from among those who commented in March on my blog. Good luck to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.