Moving to a New Website

In order to better serve you and create a more interactive, robust forum for sharing thoughts, ideas, recipes, pictures, and videos, Journey to the Best in Me is moving to www.younglivingwithsusie.com. Please continue your health journey with us there and sign up to receive notice of new posts by email. Thank you for journeying with us.

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Pray For Those Who Burglar You?

Last Sunday, I missed a call from my mother at 9:30 in the morning. Within minutes, with heart pounding and high apprehension that someone was in the hospital (they are 78 and 83), I was listening to a voice message that began:
Hi, Susie, it's mom. It's 9:30 Sunday morning and I am just calling to ask for some prayers from you and from whoever you can get a hold of. (Stomach drops, heart pounds) Someone broke into our condo last night and stole dad's wallet and the car keys and then stole the car.
The message went on from there to say they were waiting for the police, making calls to cancel credit cards and taking care of logistics. Needless to say, I was so relieved they were both OK, not having a health crisis and not hurt during the break in, that I called right back and expressed my concern and my gratitude.

The next day as we talked on the phone, my parents shared how they had borrowed a car to go to church later that day. While in church, both of them, independent of each other, began to pray for the person who broke into their condo. Each of them wondered what kind of a life someone would have who breaks in and steals. Both were concerned about the good of the person who had just done them harm. I was so touched and inspired by their genuine concern. Would I have responded the same way?

If someone causes you harm, whether by hurtful words, neglect or an unkind action, how do you respond? Most of us will want to retaliate, pull back or shut that person out. How many of us are able to widen our hearts to include that person's needs in our prayers?

While we don't need to put ourselves in harms way or continue to allow someone to disregard our dignity, we can still pray for the other and want God's best for them. Can you imagine what the world would be like if this were the way most of us responded?

This reminds me of my post about St. Rita and her ability to reconcile families that were bloody enemies. It also reminds me of the mercy that is experienced by Jean Valjean in Les Miserables, when the bishop gives him the silver that Jean Valjean initially stole. Mercy is definitely the theme of Les Miserables. If you haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it. Check out the official movie site here with great little clips. It is an inspiring movie.

Have you been able to extend God's mercy to someone you thought didn't "deserve" it? Have you witnessed another extending this kind of mercy?

Just a reminder: comment and you might be the winner of an essential oil on April 1. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't think of Les Miserable without crying. I've been twice to the stage production and saw the movie once and read the entire (huge) book twice. Did I say I love Les Miserable? And yes, the tragedy and the mercy expressed are incredible. It's also the mercy that God personally extended to us through His Son and just the remembrance of that should stir up mercy in our hearts for those who do us wrong. I have to admit to oftentimes being self righteous enough to have pity parties for myself when someone does me wrong. And a couple of major events although I've prayed for the players in the event I don't know if I ever have FELT mercy and compassion myself so this post was an unexpected and provoking reminder that I have work that is undone.
    I also believe that holding these things impedes our physical healing and well being as well so thanks again, Susie for hitting me right at home! Ouch. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We all need to pray for our oppressors. When I think of the difficulties that I am having, it does not compare of what my Savior need for me on the cross. your parents are amazing and it is reflected in their daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet. Thank you for the compliment. You are right; our difficulties, which are very real, are understood completely by the Lord who came and willingly entered into our mess. What a great season of the year to remember this and appreciate his life and sacrifice for us.

      Delete

I love to hear from my readers and learn from you too. Thanks for taking the time to share.